background

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Blueberry Picking-"I'll blog about that."


I had an awesome opportunity to go blueberry picking with two amazing gals-kid free!!  We had so much fun! (The above picture just shows how many blueberries are still getting ripe! There are plenty more for the picking!!)

One of my dear friends, R, is married to a hard-core blueberry picker. She mentioned that one season, he picked fourty pounds just by himself alone. That is a true lover of the fruit!!
So, I am pretty sure that (the picture above) this would make him proud. We pulled down many a branch to get the biggest, juiciest berries!!! Talk about team work!!!

The conversation was great and the company was even better, but the price: FANTASTIC!! We did have to suffer through the hot, humid (which means sticky) southern summer but it was totally worth it.  We were attacked (not really) by a few bugs and I pelted a few unworthy-of-my-bowl berries at R and A. :) I felt like I smelled even though I had a shower an hour before. My clothes were saturated with sweat, but my soul was full of joy after another fun time spent with friends.

I ended up with 10lbs. I gave around half to my mother. I have now a gallon and a half frozen in my freezer. I do plan on going back as soon as I can to get some more. I really do love blueberries and they are so versitle,not to mention the nutritional and health benefit of these awesome little balls of goodness!!!
I almost feel a bit Gump-like when asked what I am going to do with my blueberries. I will make blueberry jam, blueberry fruit leather, blueberry muffins, blueberry pancakes and the list goes on and on. :)  I found a fantastic site that has a TON (and I mean a TON) of recipes using blueberries. They have everything from Spicy Blueberry Barbecue Sauce to Blueberry Cheesecake Pie.
 Blueberry Council has salads, desserts, beverages and even sauces-all centered around the blueberry!!
I am looking forward to getting back to this patch very soon to pick more blueberries. I hope that the next time will be just as fun as the first!

3 comments:

  1. Love it...I want some of the blueberry cheesecake pie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the new skin.

    I didnt know blueberry bushes got that big.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely want in on the next field trip to the blueberry patch!! I love blueberrys :)

    ReplyDelete