background

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sweet Summertime

I usually make it known that I am not a fan of summer. I do not like to be hot. I do not like to sweat. I do not like bugs. Living in the the south, I deal with these "do not likes" every single day. Blech!!!! My kids are always very happy when it becomes hot enough to swim or play in the water hose. Today after church (more on the service in another post) E and N were itching to go swim. The stuffed down their lunch and were ready for their sunscreen. We all were playing, but M got very fussy so we cam ein showered and she went down for a nap. I still hear the boys playing with their Daddy in the pool. Such a sweet sound to hear giggles of excitement from them as the play. I will have some very tired boys at the end of the day!!! :)
Another summertime favorite for my boys is VBS. Oh how they love VBS! M and I really enjoyed the one-on-one time with each other and a few visits with friends. Their first VBS of the summer was themed "Saddle Ridge Ranch" I think they had a really great time. We are actually going to try and do more than one VBS this year. Living in the south in a town choc full of southern Baptist churches the VBS "theme" variation is somewhat limited-especially when tons of VBS' are on the same week. Anyway, I think the one we may try the next week will be the same theme, but it is VBS none-the-less and they are learning about Jesus. :)

One more thing I wanted to share is a great website I found  with recipes to make tons of your pantry staple items, baking ingredients and snacks--- at home.  Trying to make snacks for my kids that are nutritious and with as few preservatives possible is challenging!!! (Example: brown sugar, onion soup mix, GRAHAM CRACKERS, granola bars, muffins) I am totally going to try some of these recipes! Click here for tons of recipes and HOMEMADE goodness! :)  I posted a picture of my very first batch of homemade granola that actually turned out worthy of a picture. It was yum. I added some pumpkin seeds, cranberries, soy nuts, wheat germ and flax to the mix. Super healthy! :) It made for yummy granola bars (add honey or agave nectar and bake) too!!!
Granola Bars
2C oats
1C brown sugar (Learn to make your own with granulated sugar and molasses)
1C whole wheat flour
1/2 TSP baking soda
1/2TSP baking powder (Learn to make your own here)
1 TSP cinnamon
1 TSP salt
1 TSP vanilla (Learn to make your own here)
1/2 C honey (or agave nectar)
Mix all ingredients. Will be crumbly when mixed. Grease (I always use EVOO) 11x13 pan. Press granola firmly in pan with the bottom of a measuring cup.
Bake 325F for 20-23 minutes until the edges are browned. Let cool, loosen edges with a knife and flip onto a cutting board for cutting into squares.  Store in an air tight container (I stored mine in the fridge) or freeze a batch!! :)
**Add ins: This recipe is so versatile that you can pretty much add in ANYTHING.  I even added some dark chocolate pieces to my last batch and drizzled unsweetened chocolate on top. They were SO good. Use your imagination! Wheat germ, flax seed, dried fruit, chocolate chips, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almond slivers-GO WILD! :) 
These aren't lacking for calories, however, they are much healthier than the alternative (store bought) variety)!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment