background

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Hot as a Fever

So what does 115 degree heat index and an A/C that stops working equal: One unhappy Mama!!!!!

As if having some crappity crap in my throat/chest wasn't enough...as I was loading the kids into our van after a night with their grandparents, I get a text from C saying that our A/C stopped working (at home). JUST GREAAAAT. So here we are early afternoon on a Sunday. Husband and Daddy couldn't figure out what was wrong with the A/C and within an hour it was already 82 degrees. Thank God, it did rain for a few minutes.
So, I pack up our bags and head BACK to my parents house. Great thing that I did, because that night (after the kids going to bed at 6:45pm from sheer exhaustion-and Mommy made them) M started to run a fever. I am so glad that I didn't decide to stay home. Poor baby, it would have been miserable for her.


So, Monday morning arrives. Even though I am in "my house" (my old house I lived in before I got married for many years) it isn't my "home" anymore. I find this very strange and almost a bit sad. I have SO many incredible memories there, but since I have been gone almost eight years now, it really doesn't feel comfortable to me anymore. I really did miss MY home. I wanted to be home so badly. Mainly because there were SO many things that I could be doing: laundry, laundry, laundry. I don't have to stay right behind the kids at MY house because everything is kid friendly. Oh, lets not forget to mention: MY BED. C and I (after seven years of marriage) FINALLY  broke down and bought a brand new bed. A Select Comfort. :) For a while after we got it I wasn't all that happy..but now, I love it. I love, love, love my bed. I love my side, I love my pillows, I love the way it smells, I. Love. My. Bed. (Oh what shall I do when convention comes up in three weeks and I am away from it for three nights...I will go into withdrawals!!!!)


So anyway, while waiting for the word that C had found someone and our air was indeed working again, the kids played and watched cartoons. I tried to keep my parents house tidy. I tried to do routine stuff, naps, dishes, etc.
The boys enjoyed playing outside with "Little Kitty" (the stray that came up) and in the dirt.  One of M's favorite dolls to play with at my parents is Poor Pitiful Pearl. She is pitiful (looking) alright! :)
The carriage was my grandmothers. I love it. Too bad it wasn't for a human baby, because I so would have rocked it. :)

The stamp on the back of Pearl's head either says 1963 or 1968..I can't remember. :) Either way, Pearl was my Mama's baby doll. My Maw Maw Maddox had her fixed up a bit, because let's face it whether '63 or '68..Pearl was a bit old.

Bad quality photo, I know...but this is what PPP looked like before she got a makeover. :)

Moving along.......


With no diet coke, I needed a pick-me-up after the sleepless night I had.  So what was left of my parents coffee (in the pot of course), I attempted to make my own iced coffee. I put a bit of their creamer, milk, sugar and ice: VIOLA! It was incredibly impressive! I may just have to start making these every morning!!

Around 3pm I finally headed home after getting the word that our A/C was working again. Ugh, Daddy, Husband, A/C guy and too much money later: It was a breaker. He did do some preventative maintenance checks, but still..sheesh.
So I get home and C is in bed because he has to work 12hrs that night....I open my dishwasher hoping that he had remembered to start it like I had asked. He did! I then looked in the bottom to see a pool of yucky water. SERIOUSLY.
Thank you, Lord, for the brains you gave the people that invented the WET/Dry Shop Vac. So, crisis averted, my dishwasher works fine. :)

Backing up a few days............
Friday night I decided I wanted a milkshake. Knowing that Hardee's is just down the road, I figured I would head out since the kids were in bed (and C was at home). "The Enterprise" needs some work done on it, so to avoid driving it and possibly furthering the work that needs to be done on it, I decided to drive "The Man Van".  "The Man Van" is our old mini-van that C now drives to work. :)  So, I was coming home from Hardee's and was at the red light in front of the WCC.  I heard what sounded like something fly off. I didn't really think much of it...until my oil light came on and my heat gauge went from C to almost H. NOT.A.GOOD.SIGN. So, I called C and told him what happened. He, of course, wanted me to pull over right then...well, can't really do that when you are going up a really steep hill. So, luckily, I made it to DCS and pulled over there. God was really looking over me that night. As SOON as I started to turn into the parking lot I lost power steering. I am pretty strong (haha) so I was able to maneuver the man van pretty easily.  I told C I would text our neighbor to see if she was home and if she wouldn't mind coming and sitting (since the kids were asleep) long enough for him to come and get me. She was home! Praise the Lord!!!
While waiting on C I had a lovely, just lovely view:
Under that light on the right were two little shirtless boys and an ice chest. I have no idea what they were doing that close to the highway at almost 10 o'clock at night, but, they entertained me none-the-less.
Knowing that "The Enterprise" would be there to beam me up within ten minutes, I really wasn't all that concerned. Hey, at least I had my MILKSHAKE. :)


So, this weekend has been particularly crazy. I did have a really good time laughing my butt off at Girls Game Night! We only got through one hilarious game and few bottles of wine, but the food was great and so was the conversation. I will leave that for a blog post all its on!!!

1 comment:

  1. I have an old recipe that I used to use at my parents with their left over coffee! I used milk, creamer, chocolate syrup, and a little bit of sugar! I would heat it up and then added whipped cream to the top...but you could also ice it!

    ReplyDelete